Fifteen matter-of-fact responses to everyday duress:
1. Like you, I wake up too early and go to bed too late.
2. I forget things. I’m human.
3. Sometimes, my bank account is empty. But because clean, wrinkle-free clothes are the perfect diversion, you may never know.
4. I haven’t eaten either, but I’m not acting crazy. Your hunger is not a tenable excuse to mistreat me.
5. I’m not quite sure what I’m doing here. Shouting won’t make it clearer.
6. I’m not your maid, your driver or the office messenger. Are you sure you know what you employed me to do?
7. I’m sick means I’m sick. Leave it alone or hire a private investigator, your choice.
8. “When I was your age…” Stop, please. I don’t need to know.
9. Haven’t you ever slept through an alarm?
10. I’m in my lane, moving at my pace. You’re free to overtake me.
11. I heard the news too, but no, I don’t care.
12. It’s not my wedding. I’m not buying the aso ebi. I don’t wear traditional caps.
13. It’s my birthday, not a charity event. I’m not buying anyone food.
14. I can afford it, I’m just not buying.
15. I’m not ready. Wait or walk away.